Find your store
Roadside assistance on the east coast!
Promos and coupons
Current members of McCarthy Tire's internship program.
Show from left: Krista Vogue, HR; Conor Durkin, marketing;
and Thea Seasock, HR.
WILKES-BARRE, PA – McCarthy Tire Service, a family-owned company and one of the top ten independent commercial tire dealers in the United States, has expanded its corporate internship program with multiple placements at its headquarters in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania.
“We are proud to cultivate the next generation of leaders,” said John D. McCarthy Jr., president of McCarthy Tire Service. “Our internship program is win-win – it offers our interns the opportunity to gain real-world experience and to build their careers, and they, in turn, provide valuable staffing in key departments at our national headquarters. Their collective enthusiasm and eagerness to embrace new ideas infuses our company with energy as we continue to grow.”
McCarthy Tire’s internship program offers high-caliber high school and college students the opportunity to gain first-hand experience in a fast-paced business environment. They develop tangible professional skills that make them competitive in the marketplace. They also learn what it takes to be successful in a multi-million-dollar corporation.
High school juniors and seniors participate in traditional summer internships that support the fiscal department’s daily operations. They learn general administrative and business skills, and they receive encouragement and professional advice as they plan for their higher education. High-performing interns have the option of returning during college breaks.
Undergraduates are eligible for more extensive internship placements. Students who demonstrate initiative, leadership potential, and a strong work ethic are placed in the corporate department that aligns with their course of study and career goals. Over the last two years, McCarthy Tire has expanded its internship program by placing undergraduates in the finance, human resources, legal, marketing, and purchasing departments. The positions are structured as:
- A short-term assignment centered around a specific project.
- A placement that extends for a semester and fulfills university requirements for credit.
- A long-term assignment structured as a part-time job, but with flexible scheduling for college coursework.
Every intern is assigned a manager/mentor who holds regular one-on-one meetings with the student to discuss projects, to monitor progress, and to provide feedback and encouragement.
Recent interns have included:
- Conor Durkin from Wilkes University in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, joined the marketing department early in 2018 on a long-term assignment that included a semester internship for college credit. He will continue his placement through the upcoming summer and his senior year.
- Thea Seasock, a senior from nearby King’s College, joined the human resources department in fall 2018. She is set to graduate this May with a bachelor of arts degree in human resources, and she is continuing her internship as she searches for a permanent position.
- Krista Vogue is a junior from King’s College. She also took a placement with the human resources department in fall 2018. She will remain with the department through the summer and her senior year.
- Keighlyn Oliver interned consecutively with the marketing, legal, and finance departments during her senior year at Wilkes University. Now in law school at Duquesne University in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, she will return for an internship with the legal department during summer 2019.
- Marley Mullery from Catholic University in Washington, DC, served as an intern with the legal department during summer 2018 prior to starting her senior year. She plans to attend Notre Dame Law School in fall 2019.
As McCarthy Tire continues to grow, selected interns are invited to join the company as full-time associates:
- Andrey Boris interned in the marketing department for 18 months prior to his graduation from Wilkes University in 2017. He was accepted into McCarthy Tire’s rigorous management trainee program, and he now holds a full-time position as a special account manager.
- Ryan Javick interned in the purchasing department while he was a senior from King's College in Wilkes-Barre. After graduation, he was offered a permanent position as a purchasing assistant. He has subsequently taken an assignment as a regional billing analyst.
McCarthy Tire Service continues to expand the corporate internship program by welcoming new interns for the summer 2019 term, as well as offering placements in additional departments.
About McCarthy Tire Service
Founded in 1926, McCarthy Tire Service is a family-owned and operated commercial tire dealer headquartered in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania. The company has more than 50 service locations and Bandag retread tire manufacturing plants along the east coast. McCarthy Tire is the sixth largest independent commercial tire dealer, the eighth largest retread tire manufacturer, and one of the top 25 retail tire dealers in the United States. It offers tire sales and service for commercial trucks, industrial equipment, and off-the-road (OTR) vehicles, commercial fleet services, truck mechanical services, 24-hour commercial roadside assistance, retread manufacturing, and automotive services. For more information, visit www.McCarthyTire.com.
Use current location
340 Kidder Street
Wilkes Barre, PA 18702
Find your store
Call for roadside assistance on the east coast!
Promos and coupons